Modeling Resources Links
-- Shopping Cart / Ordering should now be working again! (as of 7/12/2023 PDT) --
We try our best to make sure these links working and properly summarized as a service to our visitors, but websites do change and/or move. Last updated and reviewed Feb 27th, 2011.
If you run into any dead links, or descriptions that need updating, please contact us. Thanks!
- International Plastic Modelers' Society, USA - International resource for modelers of all kinds, from aviation, to sci-fi, to armor. Plenty of great information available from their website, their bi-monthly journal, and from fellow modelers. Their website also has links to IPMS chapters across the United States, and chapters internationally.
- FineScale Modeler - Kalmbach Publishing's US Magazine covering scale modeling. Their website has news, reviews, a reader gallery, classifieds, and other resources for scale modelers of all kinds. Lots of great tips and other valuable information in each print issue. You can subscribe or renew to the magazine from the website. Other Kalmbach Publishing modeling magazines include Model Railroader and Scale Auto Enthusiast.
- Starship Modeler - Website for SciFi, Fantasy, and actual space scale models. A great technical resource for modelers, kitbashers, and scratchbuilders interested in spacecraft.
- Making Custom Made Decals - A step-by-step guide by Richard Tucker on how to create custom decals with an Alps Micro-Dry printer. With pictures. Reviews and other articles available from The Aircraft Resource Center
- Alpsdecal Mailing List - Learn more about creating custom decals with the Alps brand line of micro-dry printers. Has archives of the list, an Alpsdecal FAQ, and also has links to decal projects in progress by members.
- Tango Papa Decal Paper - Sells blank decal paper and ink ribbon cartridges for use with the Alps line of printers. Also sells out of print decal sheets for many different kinds of models, and can produce custom sheets as well.
- Alps-Supplies - New Zealand based supplier of Alps dry-inks.
- Brunel Models - Principally sells only modeling supplies, no longer does custom decal work or laser-cutting.
- Jim Ball's Scale Library of Missile Data - a treasure trove of high resolution missile photos, detailed drawings, and other very useful information. Now includes data on sounding rockets and space vehicles.
- USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Serial Numbers, US Navy/US Marine Corps Aircraft Bureau Numbers, US Coast Guard Aircraft Bureau Numbers - Joe Baugher's excellent reference on aircraft serial numbers for multiple US service branches, dating from 1908 to the present. The serial number listings include basic information on the aircraft, with occasional extra tidbits. There are a number of other articles and insights on his website.
- Air Force Photos - Reference and promotional material made available by the US Air Force. These include high resolution photographs of current and historical aircraft., along with links to video and audio.
- Air Force Historical Research Agency - Historical information on units, awards, heralds, organization, aircraft, and personnel.
- List of U.S. Navy Ships - Listing of current U.S. Naval ships and home ports. Links to ship pages if they exist.
- Background and history of U.S. Navy Ships by class - basic information and history of U.S. Naval Ships, broken down by class.
- Naval Vessel Register - NAVSEA registry of active and inactive ships. (May not be complete.)
- US Navy Vessels Decomissioned Since 1980 - List of US Navy, US Coast Guard, US Army, NOAA and other US ships decommissioned since January 1st, 1980. Part of hazegray.org.
- US Navy Photos - Public news photos of current US Naval operations and activities around the world. Excellent high-resolution photo reference material for ships, aircraft, and personnel.
- NASA Images - Photographs of earth and space, radar images, and other material gathered by NASA. Includes aeronautics and spacecraft photos.
- Great Images in NASA (GRIN) - Historical imagery on experimental research aircraft, the shuttle and space station, and others.
- NASA Image eXchange (NIX) - Another NASA gallery of images, including research and aircraft.
- British Aircraft Numbering System 1912 to Present - Steve Murray's page covering British military airplanes. (Part of HyperScale, an Aircraft/Armor Modelling online magazine.)
If there are any other resources that you think should be here, please let us know.
Look for Books: